16 Reasons Why the iPhone and iPod touch are better than a PSP

1. No more lugging around stacks of UMDs in a mini-suitcase, why choose which games to bring with you, when you can load them all onto your iPhone or iPod touch.

2. Because changing UMDs every time you want to play a different game sucks.

3. Sorry, Batman called and he wants his belt back. Why carry around an Audio Player, Video Player, Portable Console, PDA, Cell Phone and Netbook, when could could have all these features in one compact device.

4. Save yourself a trip with the App Store’s digital downloads, more convenient than driving to the store, it’s like the mobile version of Valve’s Steam.

5. Spinning an optical disc is great for prolonging load times, think of it as added anticipation built right into the game. And don’t worry about the additional battery drain, you can always buy the super sized battery pack, tumor like bulges on your PSP, awesome!

6. No storage space on the PSP, cost of PSP + Memory Stick = more than iPod Touch.

7. You can’t lose iPhone games, you can re-download them unlimited times, lose your UMD? good luck getting it back.

8. Updating games is painless, update through iTunes or even directly from your iPhone/iPod touch, no scouring the net to find updates.

9. New features and additional content through game updates. When was the last time you saw a PSP game updated with more content/features?

10. iPhone is always connected, multiplayer where it counts most, on the go. PSP only has WiFi multiplayer, AKA playing on your PSP while your PS3 sits idle in front of you.

11. Shelf space is not an issue, larger variety of games, more indie developed games, less cookie cutter released yearly franchise games.

12. News Flash: ACME now using PSPs to build houses due to brick shortages.

13. Innovative controls allow for new games instead of rehashes, geee and I was really looking forward to Street Fighter 23… It’s time for change.

14. Relatively cheap prices, App Store games are usually less than 10 dollars and some are even free. PSP games on the other hand cost on average 40 to 50 dollars.

15. Easily get Music (8.5M) / Podcast (125K) / Movies (2.6K) / TV Shows (30K) / Apps (3K) onto your iPhone and iPod touch through iTunes. You can keep adding bells and whistles to the PSP, but at the end of the day, there is no simple way to get media onto the PSP.

16. John Carmack knows best – “…more powerful than a Nintendo DS and PSP combined.”

Related Articles

54 Comments

1. Dr.cheese says:

You people fight about some wierd things but I just got onto this site cause my friend wants to trade me my iPod touch for a psp so what should I choose iPod touch or psp?!

2. Don Ellsworth says:

Playing words, sometimes it takes 20 hours after the person I’m playing plays his word before it gets to my I-Pod
    Why..?

3. Nova says:

ur a bloody retard… iphone/itouch is NOT a gaming system just cas it can play MINI games….how many hours of fun do u get w/ mini games????
    iphone came out waaay later than the psp so if it is better which it is not its only because its newer
    i own a iphone as both psp go (has internal memory.. waay more than an iphone does) and a psp3000 (plays both umds and mini games)
    this article was obviously written by someone who dosnt know what he’s talking about and all the ones that support him are only supporting because they own a iwhatever
    i rather just throw music in my psp than go there the itunes converting to aac process (im sure you didnt know it converts the music b4 putting it in ur ipod)
    videos… they both play mp4 videos… psp large screen makes it better cas who want to watch movies on a small screen.. no one
    as for hacking…. any baby can jailbreak an ipod, hacking a psp takes skill… and you get a better outcome
    **FACT: did you know apple products have a usage limit??? reason why they constantly put out new products**
    i rather pay a little more for something thats gonna last me…
    reason i have an iphone: its a good MEDIA PLAYER..not gaming device
    i vote sony psp as the better media player and gaming handheld system

• Ironcell says:

Hey Nova,

I just wanted to say I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a long comment. It’s obvious that you put a lot of thought into it and you made some good points. I hope your enjoy your Sony PSP, take care!

4. Freddy says:

EVERYBODY!!! Psp sucks o have an iPod touch and a psp the psp has better graphics but it only plays games and yuh have to carry umd everywhere. Oh an if yuh want videos or music it takes forever to put it in Yuhr psp. Psp have new updates but it sucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with iPod games are right there when yuh need them. They are good and affordable. The iPod has updates but they change the system and the are nice. The iPod is smaller and it is better for traveling. With the iPod yuh can listen to music and play games at the same time. The iPod has a camera. The iPod has more memory for the iPod. The Internet it faster. There are over thousands of apps for the iPod. The iPod is jailbreakable yuh may change appearances, anything on it. The iPod is touch screen. Two or more people may play on the device. So personally I think the iPod touch 4g is way but way better then the psp

• Nova says:

you shouldnt give an argument unless you actually own and experienced both sides… so what psp is touch screen… you break ur screen?? buy a new one ipod… break psp screen.. easy to replace
      jailbreaking is for babies
      psp hacking.. you can change the theme.. even make your own
      and tere are sooo many things you can do w/ a hacked psp..way more than a jailbroken iphone
      i own a iphone and guess wat….. PSP CAN EMULATE THE IPHONE..minus the touch screen
      can iPhone emulate psp… i tried… so no it cant
      WHOS BETTER????? get out mr.ignorant

5. BOTH says:

the psp has much bigger screen.

when you buy a game you want to be able to hold it in your hands. thats why optical discs rule. downloadable content sucks ass. you cannot collect apps.

if u buy a psp u buy it to play good games, not to surf the web casually. good luck playing god of war on the iphone. i have hero of sparta it sucks my balls all day long.

hacked psps have billions of gaming options like all sorts of emulation and ps1 games. these are real games. not some 3rd party puzzler for my 11 year old sister.

6. Mr.Sado says:

1. You don’t need UMDs, just buy the game online (digital download)
    2. As I said before you don’t need to change the UMD’s every time that you want to play some game, just buy it online or try to pirate you psp
    3. Okay meaby the psp don’t have all of that features , but with the psp you can emulate a lot of programs and games from other plataforms
    4. Again i say that…..you haven’t to drive and buy the game , just use digital download system of the psp
    5. Again the UMDs……..all of your arguments are about the UMD ? Just use digital download! like the psp GO
    6. You are right
    7. Again complaining about the UMD….USE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!
    8. You don’t update PSP games , you update PSP system wich add new features
    9. Many psp games recive updates every weak , have you heard about Monster Hunter Freedom?
    10. Psp have wifi multiplayer right but psp games have ad-hoc multiplayer , thats mean that you dont need wifi to play….
    11. LOL psp games are better that iphone games….a lot of variety and really some good graphics : God of war, Tekken, Monster Hunter…..damn! there are a lot and you can play GBA games , PSX games, SNES games, DOS games… and a lot more the iphone can’t do that
    12. Since there its Pandora the psp bricks are not a problem
    13. Sure……try to play a game like God of war or metal gear with the controls of the iphone…
    14. Thats true , the psp games aren’t cheap but have much more graphics and quality and you can download free y you have a custom firmware and play it wiht no problems
    15. In the psp just donwload all of that for free with the pc, put inside of your psp, and enjoy
    16. Meaby but psp can handle windows 95, 98 , emulate a lot of plataforms, use a lot of programs and with no problems.

• rod7th says:

jajajajajj you must have a psp, its the only explanation fot you to defend the psp so bad when it is obvious that the iphone/ipod touch is a lot better for gaming :D

• Nova says:

you arer a bloody retard… iphone/itouch is NOT a gaming system just cas it can play MINI games….how many hours of fun do u get w/ mini games????
      i rather pay a little more for something thats gonna last me…
      reason i have an iphone: its a good MEDIA PLAYER..not gaming device
      i vote sony psp as the better media player and gaming handheld system…..

7. [...] também é o iPod Touch. Se você não acredita que o iPod Touch é uma plataforma de games, veja 16 motivos pelos quais o iPod Touch é melhor do que o PSP da [...]

8. [...] toilets in NYC like Sit or Squat, iphone apps have mildly impressed me. Somewhere I read that the iphones graphic capacity far out weighs that PSP gaming system, which always struck me as kind of a strange statement because isn’t a [...]

9. abdimuna says:

I think both devices are powerful,
    I’ve got both Broken PSP and an JailBroken iPhone, I have bundles of Games for both devices , Actually, iPhone, is more portable as you are contented to all things anywhere in anytime, while PSP, is limited for gaming, music and Web surfing, on wifi.
    But if you download these games, forexample Hero of Spalter. Neeed for speed, Brothers in Arms, and others , an iPhone is far great device compared to psp, .
    Historically PSP is the gaming device but , just forget about the damn, history, This is the Touch Arcade . and it gonna win in near future.
    But We will never forget about the gaming history, besides if you are gamer.

10. dshasa says:

who the fk downloads music legally?

11. aaron says:

I really don’t have a problem with any of apples products other than the fact that they cost double the price that they should, but I do have a big problem with most of its customers. You’re phone isn’t the best at everything just because it looks slick and costs more than its actually worth. Different platforms are good for different things, so stop trying to compare apples and fucking televisions. Please.

12. Keiyuki says:

It’s pretty difficult to compare them in my opinion. The Psp is more of a portable game system/mini computer, whilst the iPhone and iPod touch are more of a computer accessory, designed to work alongside or with a computer on a portable level. The purpose for which they were designed is different.

Your statement is kind of a blanket statement. Better at what? 16 things, I guess. To me it seems all these things can also be done by the PSP, just differently. You can also get the iPhone to do more by hacking it.

As much as I love mac, I have to say that the PSP has a much prettier, if limited OS.

I can play my PSP while plugging it in to an outlet. I assume you can do the same with an iPhone, but I’ve never seen anyone doing it. Most computer accessories are USB charged nowadays, so you need a computer, or a specially purchased accessory for charging.

I personally like my PSP better than my DS, but I can’t really say that they are all that comparable, having different interfacing systems. To me this whole argument is like comparing a mouse and keyboard to a controller. While a mouse is often better for FPS and RTS, I would not want to play a fighting game with a keyboard. (I’ve done it with emulators, but it’s such a pain.)

I respect that this is your opinion, but I don’t really see your points as being very convincing.

13. Jonathan says:

@gammer-”PSP games r 10x better then iphone games because they cost way more then iphone games, take longer to create and only come in umd`s.”

Hmm. There’s a flimsy argument if i ever saw one. Nothing against the PSP, but really, those aren’t very valid reasons. Perhaps you should say that PSP games are generally longer, have better graphics, more functions, etc. (i’d say less likely to crash too, except i know otherwise from experience)

As for hacking, let’s leave all those stuff out shall we? Some of us gadget geeks have some integrity. ;)

14. gammer8 says:

if u want a hardcore gaming device get a psp
    the iphone is way better for anything else but u can also get some decent gaming in.
    The psp has removable battery and mem stick which means unlimited storage
    if u got the cash.
    the app store keeps a memo on wat u buy so u can swap around stuff if storage becomes a problem, but u cant recharge on the go.if u have the
    psp then u just have to change batteries.The psp is pretty much only a gaming device but if u hack it then u can have everything the itouch has but for free (hacking, if not done right guarentees that u will be using it as a paper weight forever :).The iphone and itouchs web browsing is 10x faster then the psp`s and the iphone can connect anywhere u have cell connection,the psp has slower web browsing and u can only connect to wifi.The psp is way more bulkier then the iphone but has a larger screen.PSP games r 10x better then iphone games because they cost way more then iphone games, take longer to create and only come in umd`s. My opinion is that hardcore gamers should go for the PSP and everybody else get the iphone (: if u want ;) (i dont have an iphone but i pretty much know wat it can do and i have a psp) I like IPHONE

15. Colorado2993 says:

The PSP has a more powerful prosessor too. It’s numbers look small compared to iPod Touch, but Sony used a better prosessor type. As for the size, it’s not that bad. I carry my PSP where ever I go, and I hardly notice it. The ipod can play games, but no one buys it solely as a game system, so as long as people want a powerful gaming experience, but won’t settle for Mario Kart and Nintendogs, the PSP has a viable niche with few real competators.

16. Jonathan says:

Something else too,

Gaming-wise, there isn’t a side to be taken either.

For example, if you’re playing a RTS game, the PSP would be quite pathetic. After all, the buttons are quite limited. The iPhone/iPod, on the other hand, have a touchscreen, which can mimic the mouse reasonably.

If you’re playing an RPG, then i suppose both would be on equal footing, although i like the PSP better, since it has a more better graphics card. (trust me on this)

In racing, then both have different advantages. If you’re a fan of the old push-button-to-steer controls, the PSP definitely wins out (think about it how many buttons does the iPhone/iPod touch have? And none of them are used in gaming, too) If you’re into steering wheels, though, the iPhone/iPod rocks.

The FPS genre is QUITE popular, although more on the big consoles and PCs. The PSP wins in this genre, though. (i’ve played CoD:Roads to victory, MoH Heroes I&II, SOCOM, etc) while the iPhone/iPod is just NOT suited to this type of gaming. Come on, HOW exactly are you going to see the bad guy with your thumb on his face?

The last major genre that i can think of is the puzzle genre. In this, again, both have advantages. If you love tetris the PSP would do much better (although i wonder what on earth you got a $200 gaming console for this when your $150 mobile phone can run a perfectly good version) Other variations, like games such as bejewled, etc are pretty much on neutral ground, depending on your preference.

Other puzzle games though, like whatzisname (something like rush hour or traffic jam or SOMETHING) would do better on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

End of discussion for games then.